Listening to music can help reduce stress according to many studies. It can help relieve a person from anxiety, depression, and other emotional and mental problems. Music is also capable of eliminating physical exhaustion as it allows the body and mind to relax. If you love listening to music, then you’re probably reaping its health benefits without even noticing it.
Health Benefits of Music
Aside from setting the mood, music is also known to bring health benefits to the human body. Although most people do not know about its gains, researchers have found out that there are indeed health benefits of this activity. Most people receive the same welfare just by listening to music. One of the most common is the health advantage a pregnant woman can get from listening to music. Here are some benefits that may vary from one person to another.
- Quality Sleep – you can receive quality sleep by simply listening to soft music. A lot of people listen to classic music or mellow songs to help them get a good night rest. Getting a peaceful sleep is important for any person. If you are into intensive activities, you might want to get at least eight hours of sleep on a daily basis. Athletes as well as any average individual who’s into strenuous physical or mental activities should consider getting quality rest, especially at night. Music helps our mind and body to relax so that it can get quality rest along with the right amount of sleep.
- Rejuvenation – if you are suffering from emotional or physical pain, one way to rejuvenate yourself is by listening to the right music. Our body has the ability to heal and rejuvenate itself once the points have been triggered. Music is good at assisting the human body and mind to heal itself. Unlike with other types of therapies, you don’t have to do complicated things in order to regenerate yourself.
- Enhances Mood – music also helps relieve stress by enhancing our mood. Just by listening to music, you can get rid of bad mood with ease. Listening to music is one way to enhance mood aside from watching “feel good” movies, winning something, or hearing good news. There are lots of music that can enhance your mood without even doing anything at all. All you need is find a music that makes your mood turn to something positive. When you are in a good disposition, you tend to do better at various things. Also, you have a tendency to think of better ideas than when you are in a bad mood. You can expect lots of things with just a single improvement thanks to the benefit of listening to music.
- Stress Relief – as mentioned in most of the health benefits above, stress relief is one of the best health gain you can expect from listening to music. Basically, you can listen to any music you want which doesn’t make a big deal as long as it can provide the health benefit. Some medical experts actually encourage their patients to listen to music to unwind, relax, and relieve stress.
- Increased Intelligence – according to a study at the University of Toronto at Mississauga, children who are into music at an early age of six years old have a slight increase in their IQs. Every parent would be glad even for the smallest increase in the intelligence of their child. A lot of parents are encouraging their kids to take piano, voice, or any music lessons actually not to increase their IQ, but to gain another talent as they grow up. Learning music can be challenging especially for kids at an early age. As a result, they work harder to excel at what they are doing.
Personal Benefits of Music
Aside from the health benefits that you can get from music, you can also expect personal improvements because of it. Although we can’t say that musicians are the better persons because of music, it does provide a huge improvement though. Here are some of the personal improvements you can have when listening to music on a regular basis.
- Connect with Society – not everyone of us are capable of connecting with our society. In fact, some of us prefer to avoid other people and live a solitary life. While it’s hard to live in isolation, music allows such type of people to still be able to connect with the community. Listening to music allows people to feel part of what’s happening to the society regardless whether he is practicing a solitary life or a normal one.
- Able to Express Themselves – we can always express what we feel or hide inside through music. In fact, musicians themselves express their feelings through the words or tone of their songs. Just like with anything, you can always show the public how you feel towards something through what we are doing. The same thing goes with music. You don’t have to be a musician in order for you to be able to express your emotions. Listening to it can make you all pumped up.
- Improves Self-Esteem – individuals who are into music tend to have a better self-esteem compared to those who don’t like it. Ever wondered why people at a live concert sing, dance, and shout to the tune of the music? Each and every individual who’s into music tend to have more confidence with themselves than those who don’t like music. In fact, you can even hear a lot of people singing even though they don’t have a good voice. According to the experts who’ve conducted studies on music and its effect on men, a slight increase in self-esteem is built when we listen to music regardless of its genre.
- Do Well with Other People – just like with the above-mentioned benefit, music allows people to do well with others as they can connect better with them. Musician or not, music will give you the confidence to mingle better with other people. People can easily relate with one another when they connect with the same music genre. Individuals who are listening to music can work, talk, laugh, and do other things better than those who don’t have it in their lives.
In general, music does provide a lot of benefits to a person whether it is health or personal gain. Most people do not realize these though, as they aren’t that knowledgeable when it comes to the benefits of listening or playing a song. In fact, most of us are just happy whenever we hear our favorite songs being played on the radio. In fact, there are times that we sing to the tune of the songs as we enhance our mood. Once our mood becomes positive, we tend to become a better person. Stress relief and other benefits are developed when our disposition is good. Overall, music brings positive things to a person. If you’re feeling stressed, you can easily get rid of it just by plugging your ear phones while you turn on your player. In a short while, you’ll feel relieved with the power of music!